Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Be Like Brit: A Small Haitian Orphanage


 Things that begin simply often turn wonderfully complex.  I sat in First Class on a short flight from Atlanta and I must admit creature comforts are a nice dalliance.   The doors weren’t yet closed; we hadn’t had the safety briefing and learned how to fasten our seat belts.

A lady in the row ahead of me asked if I’d like to change seats.  I’m nothing if not considerate.  The soul of kindness.  I moved up a row; she moved back and drinks arrived.  Scotch, thanks.  Rocks.  Smiles.  Glasses.  None of that plastic crap.

The nice looking, middle aged guy next to me, tie still on, suit jacket in the overhead, gave off that vibe of excess energy and soon we were locked in animated conversation.  Politics. Religion.  All those verboten things that on that day flowed with alacrity and smoothness.  We moved effortlessly into “Where ya been, whatcha been doin’?”

Turned out he’d just returned from Haiti.  Worked at an orphanage, building this and that.  “Oh, so you’re in construction?” said I.

Laughter.  “No, I’m an accountant.”  He wasn’t joking.  That begged a million questions, but it took only one match to get the fire roaring.

“What made you go to Haiti?”

The story that burst out of him intrigued me and it began with a name:  Britany Gengal.  A young woman who went to Haiti, saw the poverty, the hopelessness, and wrote to her parents, saying she thought she could make a difference and wanted to start an orphanage.  Unfortunately, the 7.0 earthquake that rocked Haiti in 2010 took her life and would have put an end to her dreams, except…

To honor their daughter, Brit’s parents took up the challenge and developed the orphanage.  It’s small scale, with only 33 boys and 33 girls, but has made a difference in these children’s lives and as it grows, more and more children will be helped.

My conversationalist friend told me how overwhelmed he was with the joy and caring he’d experienced first hand.

“So, you’d never done any building before this?”

“Didn’t know a hammer from a nail.  When I asked my wife about going to Haiti and donating my time, she wasn’t enthusiastic. 

We discussed and discussed until she finally told me, “Look, I know you’re going to go, so why are we even talking about this?  Just go.”

“So, I did.”

I wanted to know what the orphanage does for the kids.  Everything.  Provides a home and school, and a safe environment, plus medical care.  Evidently, medical people come down and provide voluntary healthcare.  My new friend related how he was wandering around and chanced upon a child who obviously needed some extensive help.  He told Brit’s mother who said she knew about the boy, but the work he needed couldn’t be performed on site and they were arranging for him to go back to the states for treatment.  “Don’t worry,” she said, “We’ve got him covered.”

I wanted to know, “What’s the end game?”  Haiti is a deep well of almost unimaginable poverty.

“The orphanage is training Haiti’s future leaders.”

I’m not a guy who is easily impressed.  I’ve lived around the world and have a built-in nonsense detector.  How many times have you and I heard, “It’s about helping the children?” To be honest, that is seldom true, although that is often the intent.  Too often bureaucracy spreads its dark wings and casts a shadow over the dream.  This time, the effort is personal and private.

My companion was so energized from his trip that I caught his enthusiasm.  Be Like Brit is not a charity that deals in millions of dollars, nor is it so esoteric that I can’t relate.  It’s something I can understand and is right now making a difference to 66 kids.

I want to help.   There are so many ways for you to join the effort, all described on the web site.  Money is always welcome, but the orphanage also posts a wish list of items they need, or you may want to join my airline buddy and do some building.  Check it out.  Here’s the web site.  https://belikebrit.org   AND be sure to post a link to this blog or to the website on any social media you use.  Help spread the word about this very worthwhile effort!

Be Like Brit is proud to be a Gold Participant with the Guide Star Exchange. Be Like Brit is a U.S.A. registered 501(c)3 nonprofit organization which operates a 19,000sf earthquake proof orphanage in Grand Goave, Haiti. The orphanage was built in loving memory of 19 year old Britney Gengel who perished in the Haiti Earthquake while on a service trip with her college, Lynn University. Today there are 66 beautiful children living and thriving in the orphanage. Hundreds of people, from all over the world, come visit the orphanage to volunteer and thousands of individuals are part of the Be Like Brit Family.”



No comments:

Post a Comment