Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A City On the Rhine - Basel, Switzerland

Basel is at the center of continental Euope 
The fabulous Rhine

One of the last ferrys in Basel

Downtown Basel on a Saturday


Courtyard of the Kunstmuseum - No photos inside

Jean Tinguely - Water Machine Sculptures

The famous 14th Century Rathaus

Small flower shop in the Old City

First and last stop - Swiss Federal Railway train station (SBB)

















Weekend destination: Basel Switzerland, about 3 1/2 hours by train.  One of the great joys of Europe is that almost anywhere in Central Europe may be reached on a weekend.
France is next-door.  Switzerland is only a little further.

Basel, a city on the Rhine River?  Really?  When you think of Germany, you think of würst, schnitzel, beer, wine, and the Rhine River.  You sure don’t think of Basel, Switzerland.  But, Germany doesn’t own the Rhine.  This longest river in Europe goes on for 1232 kilometers (766 miles) and begins in the Swiss Alps, before flowing through Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Germany, France, and the Netherlands, and out to the North Sea.  Notice something strange?  The Rhine, like another famous German river, the Mosel, begins somewhere else and flows north.  Everywhere it flows, it’s important for commerce.  Basel, Switzerland is no exception. Two of the world’s five largest pharmaceutical companies, Novartis and Roche, were founded in Basel.  There’s also a significant watch making industry.  Business is flourishing, with many materials shipped by airfreight, but much more carried by Rhine barges.  Basel’s central location on the Rhine is perfect for continental business.

But, when you’re a tourist, commerce is dreary, except for shopping.  Plenty of that in Basel, but the prices may make you attract a crowd when you wheeze for a defibrillator.   Lots of $200 shirts and $500 shoes lurking in windows like hookers in Amsterdam.  Restaurant prices may also make you squirm and swear to stick to your diet.  A simple lunch of the day for four, along with bottled water, one beer, and one glass of wine ran to $100.  Hotel room was a more palatable $140.  How simple is a simple lunch?  So simple I didn’t take any photos.   I hate to chat about prices, but what do you chat about when you can’t even afford a foaming $15 beer?

Ah, I have an idea.  Let’s chat about museums!  Basel has over 30 of them, including the world famous Kunstmuseum, filled with paintings and sculptures from the 15th Century to the modern era.  Virtually every name worth knowing is represented. Being a fan of the Impressionists and Post-Impressionists, my eyesight grew dim before it was over.   The thought of a $10 cup of coffee (milk and sugar provided free of charge) perked me right up.

Makes you wonder how the average barista, store clerk, or burger flipper can afford to live here.  Short answer, they don’t.  They live in Germany and make a short commute.  After all, Basel is known as “The Three Country Corner,” where France, Germany, and Switzerland connect.

Basel’s old town is a delight. Strolling the cobbled streets is a study in medieval architecture, with half timbered houses, and guildhalls.  Lots of little stores to gawk at and discrete little coffee shops.  Suddenly, you come out into the Marktplatz (market place), where fruits, vegetables, and flowers are sold every day, but Sunday.  Along one edge of the Marktplatz you’ll find one of the most magnificent old City Halls (Rathaus) in all of Europe, in use since the 14th Century.

So, now we come to the bottom lines:  What language do they speak in Basel?  German, mainly, but you’ll hear English, French, and Italian everywhere you go.

Next question:  What monetary unit do they use in Switzerland?  The Swiss Franc. Current exchange rate is about $1.10 per SF.

One final question:  Are the natives friendly?  You kidding me?  They smile like cannibals in a nudist colony every time you pull out your wallet.

3 comments:

  1. My greatest joys are my daughter, teaching, and reading. In that order. My best skill is reading. I'm still learning how to be a better parent and a better teacher, but I have always been voracious reader. Most years I average 200 books, or more- light to heavy. So, I think I know great writers. I think I can judge very easily a writer who is talented from a writer who just has good ideas, but lacks craft.

    Bill is Jan's husband. He is just a joy to be around. So, much fun and he is one of the most talented writers I've ever enjoyed reading. If you want to visit Europe (but can't) and like read about home cooking and read about new books then Bill's blog- Stroud Is All Over the Place must be read. He is a professional writer and has one published book- not self-publishing!

    Off to enjoy Spring Break! I'll be reading ya'lls posts and NOT WRITING on FACEBOOK! I'm going to work on my blog and plant flowers and spring clean! Do share what is going on in your lives. I miss GA and USA so much!

    Bill- I know. I know. You don't need me to drum up readers! But, I have mostly GA and USA friends on Facebook, and I just read your newest post a decided to share it, and promote your blog too BEFORE finally relaxing and having some fun- which means flowers, reading and Spring Cleaning.

    Seriously- you could make these into another book. I'd buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, this is a first for me....i'm blushing and it's not because an officer of the law just pulled me over, or an irate husband asked me questions I dare not answer. i once had a pottery student tell me, after I'd complimented her on a well-thrown bowl, "Give me some criticism! Compliments don't help me!" My reply: "In my case, slaver on the compliments, like butter on cornbread. Save the criticisms for that silly girl sitting over there."

    You are indeed a reader! Thanks for working my blog into your page-turning schedule.

    I most appreciate you spreading the word about my blog. It's desperately hard to drag new readers in, going door to door, forcing them at gun point, or with compromising photos. Tell all them Joja folks and the rest of your friends they're welcome at "Stroud All Over," anytime, day or night.

    Thanks again, Annie! Have a splendid spring break with your daughter! As gregarious as you are, I know you'll add new friends along the way! Don't be shy. Tell them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Basel holds all the beauty, your eyes crave to see! I cannot wait to plan my Basel tour. I have already packed my bags! All I need is now my Switzerland visa from UK.

    ReplyDelete